Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Personal Reflections





Reading Gloria Polo's narration of her experiences has really become an eye-opener for me. I've never subscribed to that kind of stories because as far as I'm concerned they are just stories that go on and on.


As I was browsing my kapamilya indexes, I came across Gloria's and something compelled me to go back and read it from start to finish. It may have been very long but as I was reading it I got so engrossed and somehow related some aspect of my life in a similar fashion. I realized, I was like her: a daughter, a mother, and a woman. We were similar in so many ways. We both loved our family so much and were brought up almost the same way.. My father also died a few years back and I can still remember seeing the pain in his eyes when we seemed disobedient or disrespectful to him and my mother.


Reading her life gave me the realization that living a simple life is more than enough, i don't need more. I have everything I could possibly want and need: my family, my friends, my daughter. If I compare myself to others, I'm so blessed and should be grateful that God has provided me all that others can only hope for.


Of course, this should also not stop me from doing what I'm doing because a lot of people count on me to do their bidding for them. And I'm happy to be of service to those who need me.


Money is a necessity, yes, I'm well aware of that. But there's a line that separates need from greed. I always believe that you only take what you need. The rest? Give it to the poor and needy. Use it to educate the poor children and make them good and productive citizens, bring the sick back to health, and assist the old as they age.


And for the children, there's no better way to show gratitude to God than by serving your family especially your sick members and loving your parents especially when they become like children again..


Happiness is not measured purely on success and wealth but of the amount of love you can give to others. Making other people happy and feel good about themselves is the key to real happiness.

No comments: